Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Khaki Kaper

Recently I started a new job. While there is no formal dress code certain styles of dress are encouraged. I was issued a couple of work shirts but beyond that I have been left to decide for myself what business casual means. Abstaining from providing official standards is clever since they can instantly declare anything inappropriate and more importantly, they do not feel compelled to buy me some work pants.

I am a large man. Shopping for clothing that fits properly can be a challenge. When I do find something halfway decent looking that fits well I buy every color available. For shirts I usually need a 3X or 4X depending on the brand and pants need to be between 40x30 and 44x30 depending on the brand. This makes some what less enjoyable that it could be.

My first stop was Kohls. They have an extensive Big and Tall section. I found a nice pair of dockers that looked like they would fit. Then I turned over the price tag. $75 a pair for work pants? Nope.

Then I headed over to Kmart. They had a buy one get one half off deal on all types of pants to clear them out for summer. I found a couple of sharp looking slacks and proceeded to the dressing room. They fit nicely around the waist but they were really baggy in the legs and butt. Not quite parachute pants but not exactly flattering. The price sure was sexy, $12 for the first pair and $6 for the second. I was tempted but decided to look elsewhere.

All the shopping stressed me out. I decided to go home, take a nap and regroup.

My last resort was T.J. Max. I was not optimistic about finding anything but against my better judgement I went. To my utter amazement there were two pair of nice dockers there were 42x30. They were a little tight but much better than the pants at Kmart. Each pair was $16.99. Not bad.

Once I reached the register the cashier's vapid stare caused me to really appreciate my new job. The look on her face was a combination of extreme apathy and loathing. Truly a master customer service representative. She scanned my order with a frown. I told her that if she kept making that face it might stick. She was not amused.

While walking to my car I looked at my receipt. She had not realized that I had two pair and only charged me for one. What a deal!

 

Double Vision.